Friday, November 21, 2008

Freedom

I am officially on Thanksgiving vacation. Finally, on fucking vacation. It has been a long week, one that saw the last vestiges of my patience disappear WAY too quickly. One of those weeks when I was ready to throttle *someone* by the end of Monday afternoon, and that never bodes well for the days that follow. I now have eight blessed days of freedom away from TSB, and away from the Demon Spawn. I realize it seems like an extraordinarily long break for Thanksgiving, but considering half of our school is residential, it is too costly for the State to bus the students in for two and a half days before sending them right back home.

It has been, however, an exceedingly productive week outside of work. I have done quite a bit of Christmas shopping, as well as Christmas decoration shopping! I am now the proud owner of quaint snowmen, festive candles, themed kitchen towels, glinting candlesticks, and more. It all makes me deliriously happy. I hope to put the Christmas tree up Sunday, as well as the final touches around the house. I've always enjoyed the holiday season, but this year the joviality has bitten me ferociously. I have been craving Christmas music, admiring the decorations in stores, PRAYING for winter weather... this is our first Christmas together while living together, as well as my first real Christmas as an adult. I am no longer in school - no longer at my mom's. I am in my own house with my very own cheesy red and green coasters, and I freaking love it!

We also have completely rearranged the living room - no small feat, I assure you. Our previous set up (and the one Alec had since he moved in) had the three couches creating a boxed off area that centered around the TV mounted on the only plain wall. In the end, we moved the TV off center beside the window, and have moved the couches to a 'U' toward the front door, opening and enlarging the entire room. The difference is astounding. I never realized how big the room actually is. I also never realized how much stuff was in here o.O I am sitting in the only seat that isn't piled with books, cables, magazines and all the other crap you don't know what to do with, but you can't seem to get rid of. Last night I found out that Alec has a saxophone, AND that it's been sitting beside the couch since I've known him o.O It's coming along very nicely though. We should be done by the time the guys come over tomorrow afternoon.

I am currently sitting in the living room and watching Alec put together our new AV console. It is taking the place of the metal and glass, tower-monstrosity that dominated the space next to the TV. The new one is long and low, and sits beneath the TV. It is made of wood and black glass, and looks like an actual piece of furniture; one you are fond of, rather than using what works because it is there.

Lillah has positively loved the chaos that has been going on this week. Every time we moved a piece of furniture or shuffled a pile, she felt the need to crawl all over everything, attack our screws, and make sure that she is in the way at all possible times. Right now she is sprawled on top of the packing (that I need to throw away) from the console box. You know, the stuff that is in the middle of the floor. IN THE MIDDLE OF THE WAY. *sigh* Even when she's not lying on me I am completely paralyzed by the Cute Fuzzy, and I find it impossible to move her.

No comments: